Monday, September 10, 2007

Thankfulness

This weekend I started rereading Out to Canaan, the 4th book in Jan Karon's Mitford series. (I highly recommend this series. The characters are wonderful and God is glorified on every page.) Anyway, the book included a quote from Patrick Henry Reardon that really stopped me in my tracks.

Suppose for a moment that God began taking from us the many things for which we have failed to give thanks. Which of our limbs and faculties would be left? Would I still have my hands and my mind? And what about loved ones? If God were to take from me all those persons and things for which I have not given thanks, who or what would be left of me?

How often I fail to give thanks! If I am honest, I realize that most days nothing would be left of me, my loved ones, or my possessions if thankfulness were required for keeping them. And there is so much to be thankful for: my Savior, my husband, a job that Zach loves and allows me to stay home, a solid roof above my head, eyes to see the beauty God created in Pennsylvania, friends who know the Lord and encourage me in my faith...the list goes on and on. Even my frustration with looking for a church turned to thankfulness as I pondered these thoughts. I'm thankful to live in a country where I am free to choose a place in which to worship God.

Oh, the patience of our God who continues to bless us in innumerable ways even when we give no thanks! May we consistently pray as we're instructed in Philippians 4:6 "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God."

No comments: