Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Yummy Recipe

If you had asked me about my favorite food when I was nine or ten years old, I would have said cornbread. Seriously. Not pizza, ice cream, or chocolate, but cornbread. For years the only cornbread I made myself came from a Jiffy box, but in the past few years I've tried to find a homemade recipe I really like. Not so easy, I found. One was moist to the point of seeming soggy, another was not sweet enough. (I like sweet cornbread.) I think the recipe I tried yesterday will be a keeper, though, so I wanted to share it. It's moist enough to avoid excess crumbs and sweet enough to taste great even without butter. Best of all, this is a Cooking Light recipe so you can eat them guilt-free. Enjoy!

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup plain lowfat yogurt
1/4 cup butter, melted
3 tablespoons fat-free milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Combine flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine yogurt, melted butter, milk, and egg in a small bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture, stirring just until moist.

Place 12 paper muffin cup liners in muffin cups . Divide the batter evenly among cups. Bake for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

1 comment:

Sayling the Range said...

They sounded so good, I made some last night for dinner--they really are yummy!!!!! thanks for sharing :)