Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A "Death" in the Family

Our laptop died last week.  You could say it went to sleep and never woke up: it worked at my parents' house Tuesday night while I worked on Esther's one year blog post, then it traveled home with us to Pennsylvania and when I tried to turn it on Thursday night to pay some bills...nothing.  So we were without a computer at home for several days while Zach did some research.  (Oh, how thankful I am that he is willing to do that.  My head starts to spin if I look at techy websites and try to compare one laptop to another.)  He made a decision a few days ago, placed an order, and after a little family trip to Pittsburgh last night we are the proud owners of a new Toshiba laptop.  I am still getting used to the keyboard layout but otherwise like it just fine.  (Thankful for Zach again; he is doing all the work of loading software and transferring stuff from our old hard drive.)

But this past week...quite interesting.  You sure do realize how much time you waste on the computer when you don't have it all of a sudden.  I haven't been on a total internet fast; Zach's mom just gave us her old ipod touch so I have been able to check email, but the process of browsing on an ipod is too arduous to do more than the minimum.  So I've basically been ignoring my Google Reader, Facebook, and the dozens of little curiosities that might send me online in the course of a normal day.  And what do you know, my quality of life hasn't suffered a bit.

But excuse me, I think I'll go read some blogs and see what my friends have been up to lately.  :)

No comments: