Tuesday, June 28, 2011

One Year Old Esther


Unbelievable.  That's how it feels that our baby girl (if it's even fair to call her a baby anymore) is turning one year old today.  One year ago we had a normal Monday planned.  One year ago I woke up and continued to feel Braxton Hicks contractions as I had for several days but thought I'd ask my doctor about them at the next day's appointment.  One year ago we sat on the back porch and read the newspaper while Austin played in the yard.  One year ago we took an afternoon walk that ended by jogging up the hill towards our house because of a sudden light rain shower.  One year ago we ate dinner like usual and started to load the dishwasher.  One year ago my water broke in the middle of loading the dishwasher and we scrambled to find someone to watch Austin before we headed to the hospital.  One year ago our little Esther popped into the world after a short labor and two pushes.  One year ago we marveled at the miracle of a new baby as we gazed at her through the side of her isolette.

But today...
  • Esther weighs about 19 pounds, according to the scale in my parents' bathroom.  That's the same weight the Wii gave her last month.  Hmm.  We won't have an official weight until her one year checkup on July 18.
  • Esther has learned how to clap and wave.  She started doing that stuff right after she started crawling.  It was an exciting week.
  • Esther can't quite pull up to standing yet but gosh she seems close.  Any day now.
  • Esther's ability to feed herself has really taken off this month.  She can now eat pretty much whatever the rest of the family is eating.  Sometimes she hardly eats anything, then she'll surprise us one night and eat a huge meal.
  • Esther starts flinging food off her tray when she's done.  I think she learned that from her cousin Milo.
  • I find the variety of foods she eats impressive given that she STILL has no teeth.  She has continued to be fussy the last few days though.  They've got to come soon, right?
  • Esther likes ice cream.  When the family got soft serve a few weeks ago, I gave her a little bit.  Then she went "ah ah ah ah" until given another.  And so on.  Sheesh.
  • Esther does not like cow's milk much.  She is still nursed three times a day but I've been trying to give her a little additional whole milk with a morning snack.  She'll take a few sips then push the cup away.
  • Esther has a toy cell phone.  She pushes the buttons and then holds it up by her head.  I don't remember teaching her to do that.  Kids these days!
  • Esther also likes to play with Daddy's Ipod Touch.  She scoots her little finger over it like she was born with a piece of technology in her hand.  Good grief.
  • Esther can play catch.  If you roll a ball to her, she'll pick it up, hold her arm out, and drop it.  Of course, she usually holds her arm out to the side so the ball generally rolls away from her playmate but it's fun nonetheless.
  • Esther continues to be a mommy's girl.  When she wants me to pick her up she crawls over and butts her head against my leg.
  • BUT...Esther happily spent an hour in the crawler's room at Pops and Gran's church and didn't cry.  Making progress.
  • Although I think it's fair to say I'm Esther's favorite person, she has been saying "Daddy" semi-regularly for a few weeks.  She says "Mommy" occasionally but Daddy more often.  Needless to say, she is one of our favorite people.
Esther Bug, I love you more than words can say.  You bring joy to my life every day and I am so grateful that God gifted me with a daughter!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww. Happy Birthday to Esther!!! Praise the Lord for blessing you and Zach with two precious little ones.

Love, The PAs