Thursday, June 23, 2011

Vacation

I am feeling rather lazy of late but why not?  We're on vacation!  Nine days ago we packed up our van and began the long journey to visit our family in Texas.  Three days later we arrived, after a pit stop in the Kansas City area to surprise my mom for her birthday.  (Props to my sister for arranging everything so Mom was completely shocked to see us.  So fun.)  When people hear we drive to places as far away as Texas they tend to  react like we're a bit crazy but to us crazy is being strapped into an airplane with two little ones and no way out.  At least in the car if they fuss no one hears but us. :)  Actually, I think our kids do pretty well in the car and Zach and I enjoy road trips ourselves.  Esther keeps herself occupied with toys and besides asking for snacks ("sumpin to eat an sumpin to dwink") every two minutes, Austin handles himself well, too.

But here we are and it has certainly been nice to NOT be in the car all the time for the last five days.  We have been staying quite busy: a Rangers game on Monday, the science and technology museum on Tuesday, the zoo yesterday...and of course lots of rock throwing in the pond out back.  I have been loving all the time to read while the kids nap or after bedtime.  Just finished In the Company of Others by Jan Karon (from her Father Tim series; if you haven't read her stuff I highly recommend it) and have started the Duggars' book plus my book group's July selection, Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah.  I don't think that last one is a book I'd choose on my own but since I'm hosting next month's meeting I figured reading the book would be nice.

Zach and I have enjoyed some child-free evenings revisiting places from our past.  There's a mile-long walking/jogging path near Bill and Becky's old house on which Zach and I took many late evening walks the first year we were married; we did two loops Sunday night at 9pm in the 95 degree heat.  Of course that called for strawberry limeades at Sonic afterward.  Then last night we had dinner at Razzoo's in downtown Fort Worth and just wandered around a bit.  Lots of good downtown memories from college.  We do love this town.

I have been pretty good about taking pictures but haven't put them on the computer yet.  Later, I promise.

1 comment:

Aimee said...

That sounds lovely Courtney! Vacations are wonderful, aren't they!?