Tuesday, August 30, 2011

What I Did During My Summer Vacation (or, Pictures of the Basement at Last)

The basement project that took so many evenings of our summer is finished at last, I vacuumed down there this morning, and took the camera down this afternoon.  Finally!  It is a pretty neat space, if we do say so ourselves.

First, Zach's music room.  His man cave, to use the vernacular.  When we were finished painting and rearranging furniture and taking out various things that really should be stored somewhere else, we looked at each other and said "can you believe how big this room is?"  What a difference.  If you're reading this and are not acquainted with my husband, you'll soon know him a bit better.

The TCU Horned Frogs and the Texas Rangers are Zach's sports teams.
He did an awesome job with these logos.

Did you know my husband loves coffee?  I mean, really really loves coffee.
That's a coffee bag on the wall.  He thought they would make cool
wall decor.  And they do, in fact, look pretty good.
Oh, and notice the curtains.  They were nasty, water-stained things
that had been on the windows for decades, probably.  I washed them and
dyed them dark brown and they're as good as new.

More coffee bags.  The one on the right is my favorite because of the
colorful picture.
Now my school room.  My friend Emily wrote the other day about the importance of surrounding her children with beauty, light, simplicity, and order in their learning environment.  Pondering our space, hmm...I think we get about 2.5 out of 4.  I would love to have a room filled with natural light but I will choose to be thankful that our home is spacious enough to dedicate this room, albeit it in the basement, for such a specialized purpose.

The kitchen table that my mom bought after college (her college),
repurposed yet again, plus our memory verses, days of the week,
number chart, and calendar.

The other corner.  Shelves are pretty empty now but I know
that will change.  Ten letters on our tree--we're almost
halfway through the alphabet.
And one last picture...that little door you see in the last picture is a closet under the basement stairs.  A newly organized closet, of which I am a little bit proud.  You would have to have seen a before picture (which doesn't exist) to understand how nice this is.  Ah, organization makes me happy.


1 comment:

Grandma Susan said...

Looking good! I can't believe how different (and good) the classroom area looks. A fun place to learn.