Sunday, November 6, 2011

Courtney v. Food


Have you ever watched Man v. Food?  It's a Travel Channel show where the host goes to different cities to take on eating challenges.  Six pound burritos, pizzas with a 3 foot diameter, the hottest chicken wings on the planet, that sort of thing.  It's one of our favorites and probably constitutes 30% of our Netflix viewing.  (The other 70% is Bob the Builder, Veggie Tales, and Busytown Mysteries.)

Well, lately every night at dinnertime I feel like I'm in my own personal eating challenge, except instead of a 72 oz. steak I'm staring down a single stuffed shell or three meatballs or something similarly small.  "You can do it" I tell myself.  "You need to eat this for the babies."  I don't have morning sickness, I have evening sickness.  Almost by the clock, around 4PM every day I start feeling lousy.  Zach comes home from work and I tell him what the plan is for dinner and ask him to make it.  And he does, without complaint, every day for the last three weeks.  Sweet man. Love you, honey.  Then I sit on the couch until he tells me dinner is ready.  I drag myself to the table, take a deep breath, and attempt to eat.  Usually I am successful and am able to eat a small meal. (Why is it that just when you need to eat a lot, your stomach seems to hold a quarter its usual amount?  I feel stuffed after eating the smallest things.)  But occasionally a trip to the bathroom precedes the first bite...and that's all we'll say about that. :-(  Although in those cases, I usually feel much better afterward and actually want to eat.

I know this kind of thing is really common but it's sort of new to me. I had such mild pregnancy symptoms with Austin and Esther that I was often tempted to worry that something was going wrong because I felt so good!  But this twin thing...well, now I'm getting a small taste of what so many of my friends have gone through with all their pregnancies.

To lighten up what I hope doesn't come across as a totally complainey blog post, I will say how thankful I am that I nearly always feel good in the morning and early afternoon.  The time of day when Zach is at work, conveniently.  So I eat a lot then, without problems.  (Props to Zach again, who often makes breakfast since I'm a little sluggish til I have some food in me.)  Still, I am looking forward to the day, hopefully soon, when food will sound good all day long.  Cause 500 extra calories a day is hard to achieve without all day dedication.

*Have I mentioned that Zach is awesome? He made the cool logo for me, just for fun.

1 comment:

Grandma Susan said...

I have been worrying about you a lot since we talked---especially the fact that you had not gained any weight. Hang in there---eat lots during your feel-good hours. Maybe a chocolate/peanut butter shake for breakfast!