Sunday, November 27, 2011

Three Crosses

Two others, who were criminals, were led away to be put to death with him. And when they came to the place that is called The Skull, there they crucified him, and the criminals, one on his right and one on his left....One of the criminals who were hanged railed at him, saying, "Are you not the Christ? Save yourself and us!" But the other rebuked him, saying, "Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? And we indeed justly, for we are receiving the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong." And he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." And he said to him, "Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise." (Luke 23:32-33, 39-43)

Yesterday morning Austin woke up and crawled into bed with me and Zach, which has become the usual routine on holidays and weekends. While we chatted Zach mentioned that Austin had chosen to draw some crosses the day before while he was outside using sidewalk chalk. "Jesus died on the cross to pay for all the bad things we've done," Austin added; "I drew three." I told him it was interesting that he drew three because there were actually three crosses the day Jesus died. I explained how two other men were crucified with Jesus and how one of them went to heaven that day because he asked Jesus to forgive him for his sins but the other man didn't go to heaven because he didn't ask Jesus to forgive him. Long pause. "Why didn't the other man go to heaven?" Austin asked. "Because he didn't ask Jesus to forgive his sins, " I repeated. Another long pause. Then, unprompted, in a halting voice, a little boy voice prayed "Lord, forgive us for all the sins we've done. In Jesus' name, amen."

Tears came to my eyes as I heard his words. Parenting this three year old is so challenging and I feel like I fail to show him Jesus like I should more often than I succeed, but those words were a precious reminder that God is at work in my little boy. Lord, help me continue to plant seeds that you may one day bring this boy into your Kingdom!

1 comment:

Gran Collins said...

This just shows that Austin is hearing the Truth! Priceless memory! So precious the words that come from sweet young children!