Monday, February 6, 2012

23 Week Pictures


Do I look big?  I feel big.  This shirt will be retired after this wearing; wouldn't be keeping me decent if not for the Bella Band.

And that, friends, is a belly that only has 2.5-3 pounds of baby in it. The babies weigh 1 pound 5 ounces each, give or take 3 ounces, according to Friday's ultrasound.  Let's just try not to dwell on what it will feel like, adding nine more pounds of baby, okay? For my sake.

But the babies look healthy and that's what counts. Their growth is right on target, they are super-active, and fluid levels, bladders, blood flow, etc. look like they should.

The rather significant thing to come out of my US appointment last week was my MFM telling me that he feels there is more and more data supporting delivery of monochorionic twins at 34 weeks.  He says we'll definitely look at how the babies are doing and possibly go as far as 36 weeks, but I had the distinct impression that he favors an earlier delivery.  I've been doing some research myself today and finding mixed opinions, but enough that supports his idea to convince me that if he says deliver at 34 weeks, I won't argue.  That will probably mean some NICU time for the babies, something I'd really been hoping to avoid, but if it gives them a better chance at life and long-term health...obviously that's the priority.  An early delivery also means I will almost certainly choose to deliver at my MFM's hospital, which is 45 minutes away but has a NICU.

So 34 weeks...that is only 11 weeks away.  Whoa.  Lots to get ready before then, very little energy to do it with.



3 comments:

Aimee said...

Wow! Well if you deliver at 34 weeks our babies will most certainly be born within days of each other. I have 10 weeks left...due date somewhere between the 14th and 18th of April. How many weeks early was Esther? 4?

Courtney said...

Yeah Aimee, about 4--35 weeks 5 days.

Lenexicon said...

Hang in there, Mama! Looking great!