Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Four!

Brand New

One

Two

Three
And now four!




I have felt something similar each year: I can't believe I have a (1,2,3) 4 year old! Four years since this little boy popped into the world and made me a mommy. As I've heard it said, the days are long but the years are short. When he climbs on the bed or couch to snuggle with me, I remind myself to enjoy it because all too soon the day will come when he doesn't want to snuggle with Mommy every day. Although parenting this four year old brings its share of frustrations, they are far outweighed by the joys.

This four year old, who hardly spoke real words until age 2 1/2, is now a big talker! He often asks the meaning of unfamiliar words and is developing quite a large vocabulary. It is fun (or convicting) to hear things come out of his mouth that surely came out of our mouths first. And when he talks, he expects a response...or he'll repeat what he said until he gets a response.

This four year old is learning to read. We would probably be further along in that process if I had not been pregnant with twins for the last seven months but oh well. Three letter consonant-vowel-consonant words are fairly easy for him to sound out now, and he likes spelling simple words with letter puzzle pieces or the foam letters in the bathtub. He impressed me yesterday by figuring out how to spell "flat" pretty much on his own.

This four year old seems to have no fear of new situations. He has been to no less than seven houses in the past two weeks; at least two were completely unfamiliar people and homes. But he met each mom who came to get him with an enthusiastic "I'm going to your house today!" as she walked up our front steps and came home each day with stories of the fun he had. This trait, which we can take absolutely no credit for, is one that I am sure will serve him well as he grows up.

This four year old feels strongly. Big hugs, kisses and "I love you's" one minute, impassioned wailing about a perceived injustice the next. Zach and I just shake our heads sometimes because the issues that cause such outbursts seem so trivial to us, although clearly not to him. I pray that his passion will one day be directed to achieving God's purposes and not his own.

I see so much of myself in this little four year old, and so much that is unique. How glad I am to be his mommy! Happy Birthday, sweet boy.

3 comments:

Grandma Susan said...

He is indeed one special little boy and I'm so glad I get to be his Grandma!

Aimee said...

Happy Birthday to Austin! I still remember where I was when I got the phone call (from Zach) that Austin had arrived...I was on a walk in SCV pushing my boys up a steep hill in the double stroller. I was a little winded but I was SO excited for you guys!

I have to say though, when I read the title of your post "Four!" and saw a picture of Zach holding a newborn, I thought you had delivered the twins! Soon that WILL be the case!! =)

I hope you are doing well! Give that birthday boy a kiss!

mama cindy said...

Happy Birthday Austin!!! I remember that baby!!! Hope you are feeling ok.