Friday, December 21, 2007

Thoughts for the Season

I read Isaiah 55 this morning and I was struck by its appropriateness to the Christmas season. My Bible has titled the chapter "The Free Offer of Mercy." Isn't that what Christmas should be: a reminder of the free offer of mercy that God is still extending to sinners everywhere?

Several verses in particular stood out to me. Verse 2 says "Why do you spend money for what is not bread, and your wages for what does not satisfy? Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, and delight yourself in abundance." Millions of people have been busy this month spending their money on things that cannot really satisfy our longing souls. Only Christ offers what we really need.

Verse 6 says "Seek the Lord while He may be found; call upon Him while He is near." It seems to me that during the Christmas season Christ is on the one hand a little "nearer:" we hear songs about Him, see Scripture proclaiming Him on Christmas cards, and see images of His birth as decorations. But on the other hand, this pushes the true Christ a little farther away from us if we treat Him like the jingle bells and snowmen that also decorate our world.

I pray that Christ would be near your heart in this season. I pray that you (and I) would call upon Him to satisfy us in the midst of so much worldliness.

No comments: