Thursday, March 13, 2008

Organizing

In general, I like to organize things. So I have spent quite a bit of time this past week doing a project that was fun for me on several levels: organizing all of our new baby things in Austin's room. I never would have guessed that it would take so long just to take tags off and to take things out of packages! Then on to the washing, sorting, and folding. But I am so happy with the results. The nursery seems pretty ready to welcome a new baby.

Sorting stuff into piles as it came out of packages

A closet full of cute clothes

Diapers, onesies, sleepers, blankets, towels, burp cloths...babies need so much stuff!

And while we're on the subject of baby stuff, I have a question for my mommy friends: what do newborns wear most for the first month or two? So far we have more clothes for the 3-9 month sizes than anything else so I think we might need to get more small stuff, but if so what should I get? I'd love some suggestions.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My girls spent most of their newborn days in a onesie (or one-piece soft outfit) or in a sleep-n-play, depending on the weather. I had Lauren wear all of the cute newborn dresses that we had, but I just let Sydney be comfortable in a sleep-n-play almost all of the time :).

Anonymous said...

Oops, I left that last comment.

Love, Jamie

Aimee said...

Onsies and sleepers were my boys' main newborn-3 months "outfits". They're so little at that age and they sleep SO much that you just want them to be comfortable. Of course, it was always fun to put them in a real "outfit" for church or other special occasions but for the day to day, I would definitely plan on sticking to the simple and comfortable items. You also don't need a ton either. I feel like I had about three times too many onesies and sleepers for Aden and I ended up donating a bunch last summer. I would say for 0-3 months you only need about 6-8 onesies and 4-6 sleepers b/c as you'll soon find out babies generate lots of laundry and you'll probably be doing a load every two to three days anyway.

Anonymous said...

I like the gowns--great for changing diapers, especially at night. I put S & R in the gown and a sleepsack to keep them warm at night (or swaddle with blanket.)
Sometimes I put a onesie on under the gown too--4 gowns should do it--how many clothes you need might depend on if your baby spits up a lot or not too. P.S. Aimee, laundry every 2-3 days?? I'm running on every day here!!! ;)

emily said...

Well, I will be the different one here. I like cute clothes for my babies so I was always dressing them in fun outfits. Kind of strange I realize but for some reason I think sleepers are for the night so neither one of my babies spent the day time in a sleeper. That being said, it is nice to have soft, one piece outfits. Neither one of my babies were in 0-3 very long but you'll most likely have smaller babies than we did.
I agree with Aimee in that I too had more onesies and sleepers than I needed.
Lol, Miranda, you're right, how can something so small produce so much laundry?

Dayngr said...

Stock up on onesies and sleep gowns (even if you are having a boy). I can't tell you how much time it saves not having to worry about snaps when you need to get a diaper on and off quickly, quietly and without waking your baby. Of course, onesies are a must have. get them in every color (Target has adorable ones as does Babies R Us) so you can just pull on pants or add a sweater over them.

While I'm thinking about it, sleep sacks are great too!

Another mommy tip, make sure you stock up on dreft stain remover (or prespot). That stuff is nothing short of miraculous at getting everything out!