Monday, January 12, 2009

Using Time Wisely

Zach went back to school today, so I am trying to get back to our regular routine around here. I have let household work slide a bit while he was off, and of course it was nice to have another parent around to share in playing with Austin, changing diapers, feeding him, etc. But now it's back to full-time mommy responsibility.


Ironically, this transition is coming on the heels of two things that tempt me to waste significant amounts of time: I joined Facebook about a week ago and we bought a Wii on Friday. So to help ensure that I use at least part of my time wisely, I joined the 5 AM club today as advocated by the Girltalkers. The idea is that you get up early so you first have time to spend with God and second have time to serve your husband and children. 5:15 is actually the rising time I settled on that would work for our family.

So how did it go? Pretty well, I'd say. I don't really have trouble getting up early as long as I go to bed at a reasonable hour (meaning resisting the temptation to play Wii until 11 PM). I got up at 5:15, started making coffee, made Zach's lunch while the coffee was brewing...and then I heard Austin's little voice at 5:30. He has been waking up early most mornings and I think the blame is squarely on me and Zach. During Zach's vacation I started feeding Austin if he woke up early and putting him back to bed (or letting him doze in our bed) so we could all get more sleep. Now I am trying to break Austin of that and get him to sleep until at least 6:30. But this morning he cried on and off until 6:20 (10 minutes before I was going to rescue him from his misery), at which time he fell asleep until 7:30! So although my quiet time was not so quiet, I was able to have it and also shower, eat breakfast, and get a few little things done before Austin woke up. Hopefully Austin will get the idea and sleep a little longer as the week goes on, but not bad for a start.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was great to get up early with you this morning! Thanks for the lunch. It always tastes better when you make it.