Sunday, May 31, 2009

Fresh From the Farm (Year Two)

Our CSA started deliveries this past Friday. My loyal readers might remember that last year's harvest started with arugula, spinach, and kohlrabi. We made pesto with the greens and used the kohlrabi in a casserole. This year got off to a bit of a different start: tatsoi (I'm not the only one who had never heard of that, right?), bok choy, and kohlrabi. Tatsoi and bok choy are both cabbage-y plants, basically. And you know what? I'm just not that into cabbage. I think I have given them a pretty fair try but so it is. We stir-fried the tatsoi with a little garlic and sesame oil. Zach liked it a lot; I had to work to finish my portion. Then we used the bok choy to make an Asian-style salad with sesame seeds, almonds, ramen noodles, carrots, water chestnuts, green onions, and a bit of chicken. I liked this better than the tatsoi but still, not a meal I could get excited about. Again, Zach was a fan.

Tonight, however, redeemed the week for me. I used the kohlrabi (which, I might add, was about three times bigger than last year's, if you saw the picture) in a soup with carrots, potatoes, and cheese. Yummy. That is my kind of food.

1 comment:

emily said...

yum...sounds good, kind of. thank you for the book suggestion, I just invested in the first five of the series. I can hardly wait until they get here.