Friday, May 22, 2009

Priceline Negotiator

Have you ever tried Priceline's "Name Your Own Price" feature? We did today and I was surprised to find it just as great as the commercials make it out to be. We are driving to a wedding in Iowa in two weeks, and we decided to stop in Chicago along the way, mostly so we can eat deep dish pizza. Our normal M.O. would be to find the cheapest hotel possible, probably in a boring suburb, but (influenced by the commercials, no doubt) this time we decided to figure out what a Super 8 would cost, then use Priceline to try to get a nicer hotel for the same price. I decided to request a 3 1/2 star hotel for $50. I was thinking "No way will this get accepted; I'll have to try again closer to our trip or maybe go down to 2 1/2 or 3 stars." But lo and behold, we are now booked into the Hilton Suites on the Magnificent Mile, which would normally cost $175+. All the rooms are suites, which means no hiding in the bathroom for Mommy and Daddy while Austin falls asleep, and I'm sure the view will be better than your average Super 8. Too cool!

**My excitement was tempered somewhat when I got on the Hilton website and discovered that their only parking option is valet for $50/night. (Really?!?!? FIFTY?) But we are fairly optimistic we can find cheaper parking in the vicinity.

No comments: