Monday, March 8, 2010

Ambiguity

We had our ultrasound today, and found out that maybe we are having a girl. The ultrasound tech said she thinks it is but took great pains to tell us that she was not at all sure about that and that it certainly could turn out to be a boy. Baby was curled up in a ball and would not unfold enough to get a clear view down there. She (?) was pretty stubborn.

So this is a pretty tough spot for me and Zach to be in. We have always been so sure that we would have a family full of boys. There are just too many Collins men to think anything else. So we certainly don't want to get our hopes up too much that this is a girl and then be disappointed if it turns out to not be. Not that we would be disappointed with a boy...but you know what I mean, right? Ironically, I feel more up in the air than I did this morning before the ultrasound! Beforehand I was pretty sure it was a boy, and now to be told that maybe it's a girl...rough.

My doctor normally just does one ultrasound. However, the tech said my placenta is a bit low; she thinks my doctor might order another at a later time to check if it has moved up. We are hoping for that. (Not hoping for anything wrong with my placenta, of course; just hoping for enough uncertainly to warrant another look at baby!)

I certainly don't want to give the impression that our ultrasound was a negative experience. It was great in every other way. Our tech was wonderful and really took the time to explain what we were seeing on the screen. I feel like I understood the images much better than I did with Austin. We saw bones, organs, the umbilical cord, even a glimpse of the lens of the eye. (That looked kind of freaky, to be honest.) Baby is measuring a few days ahead of my due date; Austin was as well and look when he was born! (I am making no unchangeable plans for the month of July.) Weight estimate is 12 oz. Everything looks healthy!

Here are some pictures of (maybe) baby girl!


See the little mouth open? Her skull is also very visible (the white outline). And I think that's a hand underneath.


Baby wouldn't really turn her head for a profile shot but this one is pretty good. The dark spot on the left is an organ; the stomach, I think.


Showing off some muscles!

"Don't worry, Mom and Dad, you may not be sure if I'm a girl but I'm happy and healthy in here!"

4 comments:

Grandma Susan said...

She/He is beautiful. We love her/him---which ever. Love the thumbs up!

Anonymous said...

Gran and Pops agree that we will be happy with whichever we are blessed with, but the thoughts of a baby girl Collins are very exciting!

Anonymous said...

When I was pregnant with Brent, we were told we were definately having a girl. Had a closet full of pink stuff, etc. Big surprise when he was born...of course, that was 21 years ago ultrasound too. I will try to hold your mother off on buying pink things, if I can.
Linda Conley

Aimee said...

Ultrasounds are so amazing! What a neat experience! Praise God that all looks healthy and strong! =)