Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Some Thoughts on Toys

My mom saved TONS of books and toys from when my sister and I were little.  At one time I might have thought this was a bit excessive but now, as a parent, I'm pretty grateful.  When you watch my kiddos play with stuff that's a few decades old you have to realize that they just don't make toys like they used to.  Sounds pretty cliche but it's true.

Check out the toy Esther has below.  I don't even know what to call it--a little spinning activity center, I guess.  There's a dial to turn, buttons to slide back and forth, a little bunny on a spring...and (gasp!) no lights or electronic sounds.  And yet my baby (and my preschooler) like to play with it.

Sometimes simpler is better, you know?  Mom and I browsed the toy store this week looking for birthday gifts for Austin and I was a bit frustrated with how few non-battery-operated choices you have these days.  Not that lights and sounds are always bad on a toy, but I think flashy toys should be the exception, not the rule.

Gotta add one thing...has anybody else read the Sesame Street books?  My mom must have two or three dozen of them; we were part of one of those clubs where you got a book or two each month.  Well, they're great!  At least, we think so.  Austin sure loves them.  It's funny, we have only watched Sesame Street on TV once or twice but he knows all the characters...the old ones, anyway.

Thanks, Mom, for maintaining a full basement so my kids could have such great stuff when we visit. :)

1 comment:

emily said...

We had those toys when we were little! Although they are long gone now after four children went through them (two of those being boys....)