Friday, September 16, 2011

F is for Fish

I don't do themed snacks for every letter of the week, although I'd like to do more if I can come up with the ideas.  (They're always a big hit with Austin.)  But I had an idea this week so Austin and I tested it out this morning.  We made little jello aquariums.

I know, they kind of look dead.

We followed the directions on the jello package for adding fruit and vegetables, meaning we waited an hour and a half after pouring it into the cups to add the little gummy fish, then let it set up the rest of the way.  I was pretty sure this would work, just slightly anxious that gummy fish might contain whatever it is that keeps jello from setting up if you add pineapple, figs, guava, etc. (like the package warns you).  But it set up just fine.

A little note: the gummy fish get kind of hard since they're in the refrigerator and are much chewier than usual, so be careful if you give this to younger kids.

I told Austin we would eat it after dinner...he started asking for dinner as soon as he woke up from his nap! He loved the final product.  "This is my favorite treat!"  Wait, I thought rainbow cake was your favorite. :)  It's lovely to see how such a simple thing can bring him such joy.

Coming up next: anyone have a great snack idea for H is for hippo?

1 comment:

Grandma Susan said...

Maybe something using the game "Hungry Hungry Hippo" and he can only eat things starting with "H" like hummus, hotdogs, hamburgers, ham, huevos rancheros (you can see I'm stretching things a bit now). Surely there is something sweet that starts with "H".