Thursday, January 24, 2008

My New Kitchen Toy

Finally, I have a slow cooker! I have been wanting one since we got married but I have always put off buying one, thinking I don't really have space for it. Now that we own our house, the realization set in: there's not going to be any more space than I have now! Plus, I am on the planning committee for the Women's Club annual Chili Party and one of our main responsibilities is to bring a batch of chili. Obviously, a slow cooker greatly facilitates the transport and serving of this chili. So my fellow committee members encouraged me to use this as an excuse to buy an item I've wanted for so long.

So friends, besides taking chili to the Chili Party, I don't really know what to do with my new appliance. I know a lot of you use your slow cookers regularly, though. Please send me recipes--I would love to have some tried and true favorites from friends!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love our slow cooker! Something that I find particulary wonderful is that you can prepare everything at a convenient time (like when children are sleeping the night before or the early morning of) and forget about it for the rest of the day until it is time to serve! Here are a couple of recipes that are our favorites:

Quick and Easy (acquired from Emily)-
*3 or 4 boneless, skinless chicken beasts
*2 cans Cream of Mushroom Soup
*2 cans Diced Tomatoes w/ Chilies

*Mix soup and tomatoes in cooker
*Add chicken and cover with mixture (I put them in frozen!!!!)
*Cook on low 8 hours
*Shred chicken and serve (shredded cheddar cheese, crushed tortilla chips, and sour cream go great on top!)

The other one which is delicious (especially served with cornbread) and great for when you have several people over for dinner can be found below:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Chicken-Taco-Soup/Detail.aspx

Love, Jamie

Lindsey said...

Hi Courtney. :) The crockpot makes my life a lot easier, when I am "with-it" enough to set it up in the morning. Today I am doing "Busy Day Italian Chicken pasta." Just a jar of pasta sauce (I'm using Spicy Red Pepper), a 28oz can of crushed tomatoes, and chicken cut up into bite-sized pieces (raw). You can also add spicy Italian sausage but I did not have any. Then, 20 minutes before dinnertime, boil the water and make the pasta. Serve sauce over the pasta. We're going to have bagged romaine lettuce, a few chopped veggies in the salad, and some bread with it. Easy! ~Lindsey Wilson

Anonymous said...

Savory Shredded Beef Sandwiches

Makes 6-8 servings (I freeze leftovers)

*Serve on crusty sandwich rolls topped with shredded cabbage (coleslaw mix works good), red onion, cilantro and sour cream.

2 ½ lbs. boneless beef chuck
1 can (14 ½ oz) chopped tomatoes, undrained
1 can (7 oz) chipotle sauce** or spicy salsa
1 can (4 oz) diced jalapeno chilies, drained
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. chili powder
1 T. honey
2 ½ t. salt
1 t. ground cumin
2 cups beef broth
**chipotle sauce made by San Marcos, Knorr and other brands may be found in condiments or salsa section or at Whole Foods or Mexican markets.

Trim excess fat from beef. Put in (5 qt. or larger) slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients. Cover & cook on low until beef is very tender when pierced, 8-10 hours. If desired, remove lid for last 3 minutes to allow sauce to reduce and thicken. Shred beef with 2 forks, and serve as described above.

This is a favorite recipe, if you don't mind a little spiciness. Enjoy!