Friday, May 30, 2008

Fresh from the Farm

Zach and I joined a fruit and vegetable CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) at a local farm this summer. We decided to join after I read Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle--an excellent book about the benefits of organic and local eating. We really liked the idea of getting healthy, fresh food while supporting local farm families, so we joined this CSA that some friends had told us about.

We got our first delivery this afternoon. It included the three veggies shown below. Spinach and arugula are on the right and the bottom, but I'm curious: do any of my blog readers know the identity of the tall, funny looking thing leaning against my blender? I knew nothing about it until this week--it is apparently used a lot in Central American cooking but we Americans often ignore it. Leave your guesses in the comments! If no one knows I'll reveal its identity when we figure out what we're going to do with it!



The spinach and arugula became a tasty pesto which we ate on pasta for dinner. It felt really good to be eating something healthy that was grown just a few miles down the road.

2 comments:

Aimee said...

Well, I guess it doesn't surprise me that my gardening savy husband knew what it was. Aften three incorrect guesses on my part (I checked my guesses online) I showed him the picture and he said, "Oh,I know it, what is it...it starts with a 'K'...Kohlrabi...yeah, check Kohlrabi." Which he then proceeded to spell correctly for me as I typed it into google to check. And there it was, picture and all. So, there you have it...Kohlrabi. He is looking forward to hearing how to prepare it because (he claims) he ALWAYS sees it in the grocery store and has often wondered what one would do with it. For the record, I don't think I've ever seen it at the grocery store. Anyway, I've heard of these CSA-things before...neat...let me know how you like it =)

Anonymous said...

it looks an awful lot like a vegetable that I get here in Mexico, that translated is swiss chard.... i like to cook it in a pan with a little oil and minced garlic. delish! i love all the pictures of Austin and you guys, so cute