Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Juror Number 8

A few weeks ago Zach received a summons for jury duty. Not something he looked forward to, certainly, but we thought it would probably not be a big deal. After all, we live in Indiana, PA; surely if chosen he would be on a jury for robbery, or a DUI maybe, nothing serious, right?

Um, no. Our rather rural little county, population 90,000, has one or maybe two homicides a year. But guess who is serving as a juror in a trial for one of those homicides? That's right, my very own husband. The selection process took all day yesterday and part of this morning, and Zach was selected as Juror Number 8 from a pool of over 100 potential jurors. He was one of the few people who had not heard anything about the case, so he was not really surprised to be chosen. (Perhaps in the future he will pay more attention to the front page section of the paper and not just the sports!)

So, kind of a bummer, huh? The trial will definitely last through this week and most likely on into next week. While it will probably be more interesting than the average jury service, I'm sure it can't compare to hanging out at home with our adorable son. Not to mention, Zach's mom and aunt and my sister and brother-in-law all have visits planned in the next two weeks. Hopefully he will at least have some interesting stories to tell us when it's all over.

3 comments:

Aimee said...

A couple of years ago Daniel was selected as a juror in a homicide case and he actually found it rather interesting and ended up enjoying the experience. I hope Zach will be able to say the same in the end.

Lenexicon said...

What a bummer! I hope it's a quick trial, at least. But it does make for a good story, being a juror for a homicide case and all. And, note to self: start reading the news!

Anonymous said...

Is it the girl and the fire one? We were just talking about that yesterday--one of my dad's employees was waiting to hear from his wife and she was gone all day too, so I think she got picked as well. That's kind of weird that I know two people on the jury!!

I'm sorry that the timing is bad--but I know that my dad served on a robbery case in federal jury duty (in Pittsburgh) and he did enjoy the process and serving etc, even though it was inconvenient.

Please let me know if there is ANYTHING you need! I don't know what day your fam is coming in, but tomorrow is Izaak's last day of school, so we are officially on summer break! (Except I start evening summer classes...but still!) So we are free all during the day and will probably get a bit rammy and would love to hang out, even on short notice!! We can just walk on over or vice versa.