Saturday, May 31, 2008

Kohlrabi

Well done, Daniel Moore! That funny green thing is a kohlrabi. According to the newsletter our CSA provides, that literally means "cabbage turnip." It tastes a bit like broccoli stems, though, at least the bulb-shaped bit at the bottom. Pretty tasty. (The leaves are edible but we haven't tried those yet.) Kohlrabi can be eaten raw but we chose to steam it for just a few minutes, dice it, and put it in chicken spaghetti. (Thanks for the recipe, Lindsey! I don't make it nearly often enough...it is so versatile.) It worked well. As long as you don't overcook it, kohlrabi keeps a nice, slightly crunchy texture, and the flavor is strong enough to be noticed but it didn't overpower the other ingredients.

My internet research tells me it would also be good with a simple cream or cheese sauce; I'll try that if we get another one in next week's delivery. Left raw, its texture is a bit like a raw potato...I wonder if I could fry it and make kohlrabi fries?

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Woo, a shout-out! That's a fantastic idea, to incorporate different veggies into the chicken spaghetti! I have never tried kohlrabi, but it sounds very interesting! And, I think you guys are wonderfully adventurous and environmentally conscious to eat locally grown foods. I try to buy local products through the grocery store when I can, though I would love it if we had more choices buying from local farmers. There are a couple small markets but most of them are too far for us to drive regularly to pick up a just few things.