Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Updates

First, some updates on Esther...
  • We have been to see her in the NICU for a few hours each day. We like the facility and the staff--we feel very confident with our baby there.
  • The nurse said that today Esther's chest x-ray looks much better than yesterday's, which is a great sign.
  • Esther is now being fed through a tube in her nose that goes down to her stomach, instead of through an IV. I have been pumping milk for her but I'm not yet producing enough to cover all her feedings. Hopefully my supply will pick up in the next few days so she won't have to be supplemented with formula for long.
  • Between yesterday's visit and today's, she was stable enough to get really cleaned up for the first time. (Initially she was not healthy enough for a bath so her hair was still yucky and matted from birth.) Now she is even prettier. :)
  • She has been put on a ten day course of antibiotics, so she will remain in the NICU for at least that long.
  • We got to hold her for the first time today. It was so good to be close to her. Unfortunately, she didn't tolerate it very well. She cried quite a bit and her pulse-oxygen saturation went down below where it needs to be, so the nurse told us she needed to go back in the isolette. Even our small bit of handling was just too much stress for her today.

Updates on Esther's mommy...

  • It is so incredibly hard to not be able to hold your child as much as you want, to know that it is actually less healthy to do so than to leave her alone. I think having to put her back in the isolette this afternoon was the hardest part of this experience so far.
  • I am rather emotional, which shouldn't be surprising. But I feel much better today (I cried maybe once an hour) than yesterday (I cried maybe every 10 minutes or so). I really feel God's mercy sustaining me in the harder moments.
  • I feel like everything we went through a few weeks back, being so uncertain about what the echogenicity on Esther's ultrasound meant, really prepared us for the experience of having her in the NICU. We came face to face with the worst-case scenarios lung problems could be. Now we do indeed have a baby with lung problems and it's not nearly as bad as we once thought it could be, so I look at Esther every day and genuinely feel thankful for all the ways that she is healthy.
  • Physically, I feel pretty good. This morning, as I went about my relatively normal routines, it was strange to think that if Esther wasn't in the NICU I would have still been in the hospital. With all the trips to Pittsburgh we are making, it is a challenge to "rest as much as possible" as I'm supposed to. (But I'm sure that's the case for any second time mom.)

Time for a few pictures!

4 comments:

Gran Collins said...

Courtney, she is even more beautiful! I am so glad that her mommy finally got to hold her! Hang in there, as I am confident that it will not be long until her respiratory system is stronger and she is able to come home and be with her family! Thanks for sharing this info and know that you are in our prayers continually as we know that God will provide comfort, strength and peace for you to get through this time! We love you very much and are so proud of you and the precious granddaughter that you have given to us! Love, Gran

Ashley M said...

Oh gosh, I think she looks JUST like Zach. And such dark hair. Sweet, sweet Esther! We're praying for you and trusting the Lord with you. Thanks for the update, my friend!

Aimee said...

Congratulations...she's beautiful! And I agree, she looks so much like Zach! I love the dark hair! =) I'm praying for her and for you...I can only imagine how tough that must be to not be able to hold that sweet babe! I trust that soon, soon, soon she will be home with you all and will be healthy and strong! Sending my love...

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of you and praying for you often.