Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Somebody Tell Me This Was Worth It...

Austin has been eating fruits and veggies for about three weeks now, I think. I have made some of his food (carrots, pears, butternut squash) and bought some of it already made (peas, prunes, pear/blueberry blend). But this week I decided to make some peas for him myself. After all, commercially prepared baby food peas are just not very appetizing and baby food isn't cheap. So I bought a bag of organic peas, steamed them, and pureed them in my blender. So far so good. It was easy, they tasted good, it certainly looked like I would have a large (cheap) amount of organic peas for Austin. But my baby food cookbook told me to press them through a sieve to get rid of the skins and make a smoother texture. That didn't sound too difficult. Half an hour later I was not so sure. Yes, the resulting product was much smoother, but my arm ached and I'm not sure if I ended up with any more peas than I could buy in jars for my $2.65.

On the bright side, my peas look an awful lot better than the kind in jars and Austin seemed to like them a bit more. And I know the whole task would have been easier with a food mill. That might be a worthwhile investment. Or maybe Austin would just be okay eating peas with the skins still in the mix?

3 comments:

Sayling the Range said...

Blender, Food Processer, or Food Mill-they all work. Just leave the skins on--we've never had a problem with them!

Diane said...

Courtney,
We used a food mill for Kyle and Tim. Your grandmother even joined in when Kyle was baby. We put our adult food thru the food mill and had no problems with Kyle and Tim eating it.

Aimee said...

For peas we always used the blender or the food processor. The mill never got them to that nice smooth texture. We always served them skins and all and never had a problem. If it seems too lumpy add a little more water and puree for a bit longer. Happy baby food making!