Monday, July 23, 2012

Three Months Old Already!

Newborns always grow up way too fast but never have I felt that more than with Joshua and Jude. Most days zoom by in a blur of nursing, changing diapers, holding fussy babies...oh yeah, and taking care of the big kids. And now the twins are three months old. Unbelievable. I wish I had been faithful to do monthly posts like I did for Esther but we'll have to be content with this.

I don't know for sure how big Joshua and Jude are since we haven't been to the doctor in a month, but unofficial weights according to our bathroom scale are 12.5 and 13 lbs respectively. Last month Joshua was 9 lbs 14 oz and Jude was 10 lbs 9 ounces. They started out off-the-charts small but are now right in the mix of average-sized babies.

Joshua and Jude continue to have long fussy periods in the evenings. Forget what I blogged about that phase maybe coming to an end. It is still very much a part of our life. BUT--a silver lining--once they fall asleep for the night they've been sleeping really well. They sleep a couple 4-5 hour stretches so I feel rested most mornings. And they nurse quickly at night so we all get back to sleep pretty soon.

I no longer nurse them together unless they are both desperately unhappy at feeding time. The dual football hold just wasn't working as they got longer--they'd kick themselves away from me. Nursing them one at a time takes only a bit longer so that's what we do. Good thing they are quick eaters because they eat about every 2.5 hours during the day.

Joshua and Jude are not great nappers; they often stay asleep for only 40 minutes. (Just like Austin and Esther at that age--what is it about my kids and short naps?)

The babies just started smiling a few weeks ago and they get more gregarious every day. I love their little coos and gasps of excitement. They follow Daddy with their eyes if he gets up and leaves the room. (Perhaps they do for me as well? But I'm leaving so I don't see it of course.) It's cute.

Joshua and Jude's personalities seem so similar right now, so if I seem to treat them like a single unit that's why. But here's a difference--Jude now likes baths but Joshua cries when it's his turn in the tub.

Both boys like to sit up rather than lay down. We thought they didn't like our swing and we were about to put it back in the basement, then one day on a whim I moved the back more upright and all of a sudden I had a happy baby. They like sitting in bouncy seats for short periods, too, finally. It's impossible to cook dinner while holding two babies, you know? So being content in a seat or swing is important when you're a twin.

Okay, let's see if I can find some decent pictures for this kind of post!

Freshly sprung from the hospital! Jude is on the left.

About one month--I think Joshua is on the left.

About two months--Jude is on the left.

Three months! Funny, I think they look really different here. Joshua is on the
left, Jude on the right.


1 comment:

Grandma Susan said...

Happy 3 month birthday, Joshua and Jude. We miss you! Don't grow up too fast.