Thursday, April 17, 2008

Some Thoughts on Love

Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered...
1 Corinthians 13:4-5

Zach and I started memorizing 1 Corinthians 13 together back in February. At the time of Austin's birth we had only gotten through verse 5, mostly because we were not disciplined enough to start a new section every week. Our original intention was to commit to heart some scripture we knew we would use to instruct our children. But last night as I sat awake rocking Austin, it occurred to me how much the Lord needs me to know those truths right now. It is so easy to love my little boy during the day. I need the Lord's grace to love him that much at night. I prayed last night that God would help me love Austin more patiently, more kindly, with less thought for myself, especially at 3AM.

By the way, I think Austin had a better night last night. He slept quietly in his own bed from his 11PM feeding until about 2AM, so I got the night off to a good start with a few hours of sleep. He ate for almost an hour (he is a slow, sleepy eater no matter the time of day), then fussed until about 4. He slept from 4 to 4:40 and I think only woke up because he had peed through his clothes. By the time he was changed it was feeding time again. He ate, I put him down, then got him up again a few minutes later when he was crying. He had peed through his clothes again. BUT...after that he slept for over two hours. Two two-hour stretches of nighttime sleeping is a record for his young life.

Thank you for the responses to my last post. It is so encouraging to hear about other moms who have gone through exactly what I'm going through with Austin.


Just wanted to show that he really is a good sleeper...when he wants to be!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a precious picture :0)

Marie Wiles

Lindsey said...

Awww!

Just wanted to make sure you've heard...point it *down* when you diaper him! This may help eliminate the wet clothing. Or, he could just be a super-peer. ;)

Prayers and blessings!