Thursday, June 12, 2008

Fresh From the Farm Part Two

This week's delivery from our CSA included more arugula and the cabbage you see below. Isn't it enormous? The cabbage posed a bit of a challenge to my meal planning; I have never thought of myself as a cabbage fan. But this cabbage had a pretty mild flavor, and I found some good recipes on allrecipes.com that used it as an accent rather than a main ingredient.

The first cabbage-based meal was Baked Pork Spring Rolls. Very yummy, and not as guilt-inducing as the usual fried variety. (They are brown and crispy because they have vegetable oil brushed on the top.) I even made a second batch to freeze so we will enjoy these again in a few weeks.


Then tonight we made bierocks, which are pieces of dough filled with onion, cabbage, and ground beef. It's a German dish. (Boy, I was international this week!) The recipe said to fry them but I baked them instead and they were plenty tasty. Kind of a like a hamburger. Or maybe more like a cheeseburger since we ate them with extra cheese sauce that I made for the kohlrabi. (Steamed kohlrabi is the stuff at the bottom of the plate.) Again, I had enough ingredients to make an extra batch to freeze.


So I still wouldn't call cabbage a favorite food, but it's not so bad. I'm glad I added yet another vegetable to my recipe repertoire.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As usual, I am impressed with your culinary talents!

Aimee said...

I'm so impressed that with a new baby you are finding time to be creative in the kitchen. I feel like it took me several months after Aden was born to even get into a "plan my meals and have them ready at roughly the same time each night" routine...and then I got pregnant and we were back to winging it for quite some time once again. Girl, you're amazing!